We live in such a connected world that almost everything can be shared instantaneously - our thoughts and rants on Twitter, photos on Facebook or Instagram, and even our location is known to the masses with Foursquare. Every tweet we type, every photo we post and every place we check into... sometimes I can't help feeling it's like us blatantly showing off our lives to everyone else. We seem to be living in a society where approval comes in the form of the number of likes on your Facebook posts and Instagram photos; and I will never understand those people who ask others to "check out" their Instagram photos and follow/like as a form of "exchange". It's funny how social media has shaped us into creatures that feed on and crave attention more so than ever.
Well, I'm definitely guilty of being a social media whore too. I use Instagram, tweet, blog on a regular basis; and of course upload my photos to Facebook too (just uploaded one album in fact!). So obviously, I have no right (nor intention) to be criticizing anyone. It's just that... to be honest, sometimes it still frightens me. To imagine that actually someone, anyone, out there can find out so much about you within minutes, with just a simple Google search. (This is partly the reason why my blog address is so obscure really.)
And yet even with all these social media, I've never felt further apart from my friends. Especially those that are abroad, but it shames me to admit that this is the case even with friends who ARE in sg. We assume we're "connected" with one another just because we read blogs and stalk Facebook pictures. ORLY? D: It's such a convenient excuse, isn't it? If that's the case, then social media is really the bane of all relationships. Maybe a hiatus will help.
I think I've said enough for today. Excuse me now, while I busy myself with things that you wouldn't be able to find out... ;)
(Ok, it's not anything naughty, I solemnly promise)




Very well written ET. I guess everyone is guilty of this me included. That is why sometimes I think we do find peace when the social media is out of our lives isn't it?
ReplyDeleteAnd... I know what you did. WATCH OUT! ;)
Hahaha why you don't wanna read my social media essay. Hahahahahaha
ReplyDeleteKellyn: aww thanks dear. :) yeah i think most of us are guilty of this. but well, i'm glad our friendship goes beyond just stalking each other (heheheh). really feel like i need to moderate the amount of time i spend on social media these days. :(
ReplyDeleteHOW YOU KNOW WHAT I DID?! D: do you live in my pocket?
qixin: Y U NO LEMME READ IT THEN?
ReplyDeleteFreddy says hi btw.
harro baby! i is forever stalking you. forever and always!!! ps: can i borrow your notes? i got no hands to write, no ears to listen and no eyes to see. also my brain cannot process anything one. and i scared by back break frm carrying laptop to school!
ReplyDelete:( i'm so sick of all these shit. sigh! hope to meet you soon baby! loads of catching up to do! jiayou for now okay! <3 <3 <3 hope things start getting better for you. love you!
ReplyDelete