Friday, June 7, 2013

Team LGS ♡



When I first asked to be in sports cca again for this year, my goal was simple: I just wanted to continue from where I've left off the previous year, since I was placed in sports upon joining the school. I was fortunate enough to be chosen to be part of the sports team this year, alongside Michelle. It's indeed a blessing that we both got what we wanted and were able to train the kids together for Special Olympics.

Despite knowing fully well what I'd signed up for, I never thought I would be this attached to the students. Guess it's true that sports really brings people together. Initially, it was so hard to tell the students who had similar or, worse still, same names apart and it was a struggle to differentiate them during each training. But it's funny how things work. After struggling to get their names right for months, all it took was just 3 days with them to change everything. Now I've grown so attached to them that it makes saying goodbye so much harder.

There were tough days during training when some of them simply refused to run or obey instructions, and we had no choice but to scold them. But there were also the good times when we joked and laughed together as a team. I probably took it for granted, but I know I'll miss how the boys would always offer to help us carry the heavy basket in a bid to show off their (gentle)manly side, and even help to refill our water bottles. I will never forget the competition day when we screamed our lungs out, rooting for each and every one of them; or how they surpassed their own abilities and showed such wonderful sportsmanship on the track. I will never forget how proud I felt at the moment when they took a final stride across the finishing line. :)

Wish I could turn back time and relive the last night when all of us simply let loose and danced to our hearts content. There was not a single moment where I felt self-conscious when dancing with the kids. That night, on the dancefloor, we were all friends. Songs like Gentleman, Oppa Gangnam style, Mr Simple, It's My Life etc drove us wild! We belted out one song after another at the top of our voices, and it's just plain amazing to see how well the kids can dance! The atmosphere was so high and we didn't even need alcohol. It's probably one of the best nights I ever had in my life. :)

10 gold, 7 silver and 4 bronze medals. We did it, Team LGS! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment